A Winnipeg woman is in custody after a serious impaired driving incident early Saturday morning.
Police saw a black Ford Focus with suspended registration driving erratically near Portage Avenue and Maryland Street just after 3 a.m.
Officers followed and the driver sped up and ignored traffic lights.
Eventually the car came to a stop near Broadway and Maryland, but the woman behind the wheel tried running away.
Officers were able to catch and arrest her.
Constable Jason Michalyshen tells 680 CJOB no one was hurt.
“Based on what I’m aware of, I think we’re talking about a lot of close calls here,” Michalyshen says. “I guess the only silver lining in this is the fact that I’m not reporting any serious injuries to anyone.”
24-year-old Sarah Lynn Vermette faces a number of charges:
- Drive while Ability Impaired
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Flight while Pursued by Peace Officer
- Driving while Disqualified
- Fail or Refuse to Provide Sample — Drug Evaluation
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order (two counts)
- Highway Traffic Act — Drive with Registration Suspended
- Highway Traffic Act — Drive without Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance