Southeast Manitoba is cleaning up after blizzard-like conditions moved through the area Sunday.
High winds reduced visibility, covered roads and highways with snow drifts and closed multiple highways, including the TransCanada between Headingley and Portage.
Many schools and buses were cancelled Monday morning (see below).
Highway conditions are improving as the wind slowly dies down and the plows have been out.
City crews have been tackling streets in open areas where large drifts have been forming.
Jim Berezowsky is the manager of streets maintenance for the city of Winnipeg. He says they are preparing to do a cleanup as the wind moves out of the city.
“We’re monitoring these winds and hoping that they’re dying down, which we see is starting to occur. From that point on, we’re going to make an action plan. That should be over the next few hours,” he said.
Meantime, the province says over 300 pieces of equipment are out on highways, removing snow and sanding the roads. They are expecting to be out all day and ask motorists to use caution when they see equipment out on the road.
School Delays and Cancellations:
– Louis Riel School Division is cancelling buses SOUTH OF THE PERIMETER. All city routes still running.
– Sunrise School Division, schools closed, buses not running, staff asked not to report [UPDATE of earlier message]
– Springfield Tiny Tots in Oakbank is CLOSED today
– Gillis Play-and-Learn Centre in Tyndall is closed
– All schools in Lakeshore School Division are closed
– Dugald Daycare is closed
– Francophone School Division Closures in St. Georges, St. Claude, Notre Dame des Lourdes, and St. Laurent (UPDATED AT 7:28)
– Lac du Bonnett Children’s Centre is closed today
– Fisher Branch Care-A-Lot For Tots Daycare and School age Program are closed today
– Buses in the following Francophone School Division have been cancelled for today:
– Real Berard, Gabriel Roy, St. Agathe, Lagimodiere, Noel Richot, St. Jean Baptiste, Pte Dechenes and St. Joachin
– Happy Time Nursery School in Beausejour is closed
– Prairie Rose School Division — classes and buses are cancelled for the whole division, staff is asked to report when safe to do so.
All weather warnings for Winnipeg have been dropped. The sky is expected to clear later this morning but you will experience wind gusts up to 60kmh per hour. That is going to make it feel more like -25.