According to a new report, obesity rates are on the rise in Canada and when it comes to our youth, the rates are astounding.
Several groups are now calling for urgent action and one idea is a “fat tax” – taxing foods and drinks that aren’t healthy for us. So we asked the question this morning, would you be okay paying extra for those sugary drinks or potato chips?
You certainly weighed in on our Facebook page…
- Lone Wolfe – People with low income have no choice because healthy foods are so expensive and junk food is cheap. Lower the price of the good food and that should get rid of at least half the problem.
- Mady May – Let’s get the government to give us money back each month to spend on the inflated cost of healthy food.
- Sheila Johnston – Taxing something again is not the answer, we are already taxed enough!
- EmJae Murphy – So the rest of us who only enjoy things in moderation must be punished for those that cannot control their intake? Because I want a rye and coke at the end of a long week I get dinged?
- Travis Droux – Maybe parents need to stand and take control of what their kids eat and not add to it. Self control and common sense. What’s wrong with this world nowadays?
We love it when you comment! Head to our Facebook page to let us know what you think.