Today we had a chance to talk to Leslie Beck. Leslie is a health and fitness guru and she gave us a few tips on how to give your fridge a good spring cleaning. Yes indeed… your fridge!
Here are just a few of her valuable points…
- Start by emptying your fridge and cleaning the shelves with hot soapy water. As you put items back, make sure you check best before dates on things like salad dressings, condiments, butter and other packaged foods.
- When it comes to fresh fruits and veggies, Leslie suggests prepping produce in advance for the week to make sure you actually eat what you buy instead of tossing out wilted, rotting vegetables. One of her suggestions is to wash and dry lettuce, then wrap it in paper towels and store it in resealable produce bags. You’ll be surprised at just how long it lasts!
- Leftovers can be a good thing. Leslie says she purposely makes enough food to have leftovers for quick, healthy meals during the week. In order to prevent leftover mysteries and food waste, she stores them in a clear glass container so you can easily see what’s inside. Most leftovers will keep for four days in the fridge.
- Most refrigerated foods can be eaten safely soon after their best-before dates have passed, provided you’ve stored them properly.
- Make sure you check the temperature of your fridge! To keep foods safe, your fridge should be set at 4C or colder.
- Don’t overstuff your fridge as air circulation is key for keeping foods cold.
Now if you’ll please excuse me, I’ve got some cleaning to do!