WINNIPEG – Funding for a new state-of-the-art facility at CancerCare Manitoba is on hold while the new Progressive Conservative government carries out its thorough review of all capital projects.
At least $70 million had been promised by Greg Selinger and the previous administration in January to expand the clinic at Sherbrook Street and McDermot Avenue.
Premier Brian Pallister was joined by Health Minister Kelvin Goertzen on Monday to announce $4 million in additional funding for intravenous cancer drugs.
Afterwards the Premier refused to commit to the clinic expansion.
“The course of action we are pursuing is not to do anything, but evaluate all the major priority proposals that A; the previous government made noise about supporting, but B; in the context of sustainable support,” said Pallister.
There is no word on when the expense probe will be completed, but CancerCare is confident the money will eventually come to help them complete the project.
“They have seen how much we are struggling,” said Dr. Sri Navaratnam, president and CEO of CancerCare Manitoba.
“And we have purchased the land already and I’m sure the construction is going…we have completed the high functional planning.”