WINNIPEG – Six Manitoba companies are paying out hefty fines after their workers were hurt on the job.
The province has released a list of companies that were prosecuted this summer for violating the Workplace Safety and Health Act, with most incidents dating back to 2013 and 2014.
In one case, a company was fined $32,000 following a steam explosion that left an employee with severe burns.
Another company paid out $20,000 dollars when a worker at a hemp processing plant suffered serious injuries to his arm.
Workplace Safety and Health released this list a reminder to employers to ensure workplaces are safe and employees understand as well as trained in proper procedures.
List of Fined Companies
On May 1, 2014, an Amsted Canada Inc. worker received serious burns to his upper body when a shovel he was using to remove excess slag from a ladle introduced moisture to the molten metal and created a steam explosion. On June 2, 2016, the employer pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to develop and implement safe work procedures for the removal of excess slag, and was ordered to pay $32,550 in fines and surcharges.
On Feb. 3, 2014, a worker for Gilbert Plains-based Plains Industrial Hemp Processing Ltd. suffered serious injuries to his right arm while removing hemp from a jammed processing machine. On June 22, 2016, the employer pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to ensure the machine involved was equipped with a safeguard to prevent workers from coming into contact with moving parts, and was ordered to pay $20,000 in fines and surcharges.
On April 11, 2013, a worker for Brandon-based Glendale Industries Limited was seriously injured when sparks from a hand grinder he was using ignited sodium chlorate on his pants that he had been exposed to on a job site the previous day. On April 28, 2016, the employer pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to implement safe work procedures for installing a work platform above sodium chlorate dryers, and was ordered to pay a total of $15,000 in fines.
On May 2, 2014, a worker for Portage la Prairie-based V & R Electrical Ltd. was seriously injured while removing electrical cable from a splitter box that was no longer in use. The task was performed “live” so as not to disrupt power to the facility. As the worker was removing a ground wire from the splitter box, it made contact with an energized lug nut, which caused an arc flash. The worker suffered burns to his face and neck. On June 27, 2016, the employer pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to create and train workers on safe work procedures for working with energized electrical equipment, and was ordered to pay $12,550 in fines and surcharges.
On June 6, 2013 an EcoLogic Spray Foam Insulation worker contacted WSH when he experienced difficulty breathing after removing some pre-existing insulation. An officer attended and immediately issued a stop work order. An analysis of the insulation determined that it contained asbestos. On July 14, 2016, the company pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to ensure that an asbestos control plan was developed to prevent asbestos-containing material from becoming airborne in the workplace and was ordered to pay $13,050 in fines and surcharges.
On July 15, 2013, a Dunsire Building Services Ltd. worker was seriously injured when he fell from an eight-foot ladder while attempting to repair a strip mall sign. The worker was performing electrical work as a Level 4 electrician apprentice without being directly supervised by a certified journeyperson in the trade. On March 3, 2016, the employer pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to provide information, instruction, training and supervision in particular for an apprentice under Sec. 4.1 of the Electrician’s Act. The company was ordered to pay $18,000 in fines and surcharges.