WINNIPEG – It’s going to be a tight squeeze for students in some Winnipeg schools when classes resume next week.
Fort Richmond Collegiate already has six portable classrooms and will get six more this year.
“The province is giving us six more as a Christmas gift for 2016,” explains Pembina Trails School Division superintendent Ted Fransen. “We’ll need more at the rate of growth in Fort Richmond Collegiate.”
Fransen says they’re stuffed to the gills in a lot of places, and can’t wait for a new school to open.
“We’ve got a number of schools that are bursting at the seams and are looking forward to South Pointe opening on January 9,” Fransen adds.
In total, there are 70 portables being used at Pembina Trails schools, and things aren’t any less crowded at the Winnipeg School Division: they have 75 portables, and the problem is only getting worse.
“It was already bad last year but we have seen a huge influx of Syrian refugees in our schools,” says Mark Wasyliw, WSD president. “Most of our schools are running at capacity.”
Wasyliw adds they’ve also sent a list to the province of schools that need add-ons and additions.
Fransen hopes the province will sign off on a couple of more new schools as well.