<Photo: Queen’s University>
While we often talk about kids and creating safer school environments for their severe allergies, should we also start talking about university students?
It was one year ago when we learned of Andrea Mariano’s untimely death. An 18-year-old Canadian university student who died on campus and her death was related to an anaphylactic allergic reaction. This according to a statement from Queen’s University.
Andrea Mariano was 18, and although more specific information hasn’t been given, it is known that she had a peanut and dairy allergy.
So this begs a several questions: Should we make all universities and colleges peanut-free? Is that overboard and alarmist?If not, where do we draw the line? Will we do the same to restaurants? Will peanuts become the new cigarettes? Where is the burden of responsibility to protect people with allergies?