WINNIPEG – Hudson the polar bear is leaving Assiniboine Park Zoo.
He and his brother Humphrey are headed back to Toronto, where they were born.
They leave for the Toronto Zoo on October 11th.
Hudson came to Winnipeg in 2013 and was the polar bears in the Journey to Churchill exhibit. His brother Humphrey arrived two years later.
There will still be seven polar bears living at the exhibit. All of them have been rescued from northern Manitoba. The zoo says this will give them more space, should another bear need a new home.
“We are very grateful to have had Hudson and Humphrey here in Winnipeg for the last few years and to have given them the opportunity to become socialized with our other polar bears,” said Gary Lunsford, zoological operations at Assiniboine Park Zoo.
“While they will certainly be missed by our staff and visitors, we know that Toronto Zoo is very excited for their return.”
Assiniboine Park zoo has planned a number of events for you to say goodbye to Hudson.
– Ten Days of Love zookeeper presentations. Don’t miss your chance to see Hudson and Humphrey receive their special goodbye treats and meet the keepers who have cared for them. 1:30 pm daily in the Gateway to the Arctic building in Journey to Churchill.
– Giant farewell card. A regular greeting card wouldn’t do for this goodbye, so we’re inviting visitors to sign our bear-sized farewell card. 11:30 am to 2:30 pm daily in the Gateway to the Arctic building in Journey to Churchill.
– I heart Hudson and Humphrey stickers. Make sure you grab an I Heart Hudson or Humphrey sticker after signing the card! 11:30 am to 2:30 pm daily in the Gateway to the Arctic building in Journey to Churchill.
– Colouring station. Show us your colouring skills and take home your own Hudson and Humphrey picture at the colouring station. 11:30 am to 2:30 pm daily in the Tundra Grill in Journey to Churchill.
– Photos with Winston the polar bear mascot. Get your photo taken with our mascot, Winston, Hudson and Humphrey’s biggest fan. Saturday October 1 and Saturday October 8, 2016 from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm at the main gate.