WINNIPEG – Residents in Transcona are sounding the alarm after two needles were found over the weekend at a pair of parks.
A photo posted on the Facebook page ‘Transcona And Proud Of It’ on Oct. 8 shows a needle being held up by a toy like a sword. The person who posted the image claims it was discovered in a park on Bayview Place off of McMeans Avenue East.
James Higham discovered the second needle in a field at Ecole Margaret-Underhill while out with his young children and dogs on Thanksgiving Day.
“We walked down the street to the park and low-and-behold there is a needle sticking up through the bench and I was kind of shocked,” Higham tells 680 CJOB.
Higham immediately took his kids and dogs home, but returned to dispose of the needle.
He said he was aware of the first needle through Facebook and posted the second incident on the page.
“I just wanted to let the community know that there had been another needle found at a school,” Higham said. “Luckily the principal of the school is on that page and said she would be out doing a sweep of the park first thing in the morning with the janitors.”
Higham said he has not yet reported the incident to police, but will be calling the non-emergency line.
“It’s very concerning, my children attend that school – they’re out there during the recess hours and could have easily just poked themselves,” Higham said.
Winnipeg Police said in an e-mail that they are aware of the incidents, but have not received any reports directly.
Const. Rob Carver says in most cases, people who find needles can properly dispose of them on their own.
“Whether it’s capped or placed in a tin can or a jar, you want to dispose of it in some way that it isn’t a risk to anyone else,” Carver said.
More information on disposing of needles can be found here.
The River East Transcona School Division has issued the following statement:
We’re aware of the two instances over the weekend where hypodermic syringes were found in a park and a schoolyard in Transcona. We’re grateful to the residents who found them and disposed of them quickly and safely. Our school custodians do regular safely checks in our schoolyards. However, as an added precaution in this case, we’ve also alerted our parents to the incidents and advised them to caution their children that should they discover a needle or anything they’re not sure about, to find an adult who can safely dispose of it.