RCMP officers were forced to use the nasal naloxone kit for the first time this weekend.
On Friday officers were called to a possible fentanyl overdose in the southeast corner of the province.
Reports say one 20 year old male was unconscious and not breathing.
Ambulances were en-route to the location but were still 8 minutes away, so officers had to administer the dose three times in properly timed intervals.
The victim’s pulse and breathing quickly stabilized and he was transported to hospital where he was later released.
“There is no doubt in our minds that those officers saved the life of this young man” said Supt. Joanne Keeping, East District Commander of the Manitoba RCMP. “I cannot stress enough the value of having these kits with our officers, it saves lives and is critical to the safety of all first responders.”
Suspected fentanyl was seized at the location.
To protect the identity of the victim, any specific details about the location of the incident will be withheld.