WINNIPEG — Winnipeg police say 30-year-old Brett Overby has been charged with second degree murder in Manitoba in the disappearance of Christine Wood.
On August 19, 21-year-old Christine Wood went missing after a visit to Winnipeg from Oxford House First Nation.
On Saturday, Winnipeg Police said Overby had been charged with second degree murder in the disappearance of Christine Wood.
Until the news release on Saturday from Winnipeg Police, there was no indication from officers that Wood’s disappearance had gone from anymore than a missing person’s investigation.
Winnipeg Police confirmed to Global News that an on-going investigation at a home on the 300 block of Burrows avenue in March was connected to the investigation in to Christine Wood’s disappearance.
According to an online search, the 30-year-old charged with second degree murder, Brett Overby, is connected to the home on Burrows avenue that was being investigated in March.
No further details have been released at this time.
Global News spoke to Christine Woods’ mother, who said she was hurting too much to speak any further.
Wood was last seen in the downtown area on August 19 of last year. When officers released a statement on Wood’s disappearance in August 2016, they said they were concerned for her well-being.
In September, Winnipeg police said Wood was facing some ‘personal challenges’ and said she might be associated with people tied to drug trade.
They said they had investigated persons of interest, but until Saturday, the missing person’s investigation had not been shifted to a homicide investigation.