Click here to email Scott Johnston
District Fire Chief Randy Shakura confirms at least one is dead. The smoke, coupled with the extreme heat on an already hot day, made things very difficult for the residents, many of whom have respiratory problems.
"Another problem that we had was the mobility of all these people that were trapped in their suites.” Shakura said, “so we actually had to go in to their suites and either extricate them through the stairwell or from a ladder out of a window."
Norman Willoughby was out at just the right time. He then saw the smoke and came back, “the fire was in suite 212 and my suite is 213, right next door. I had a bird in there and I wanted to go in and get my bird but they wouldn't let me in.”
Greater Edmonton Foundation, the operators of the Canora Gardens, has provided dinner at another lodge. The Foundation is also finding hotel rooms for them for the night. (sj/tk)