The deadly attacks in Belgium have left some Winnipeg high school students disappointed today.
Students at Collège Jeanne-Sauvé were supposed to leave for a trip to Paris and Brussels today.
But Louis Riel School Division Superintendent Duane Brothers says they cancelled the trip early this morning.
“I imagine people for the last week have had things packed and were looking at their itineraries and lots of excitement,” Brothers explains. “But my understanding from high school administration is their communication with parents was there was a high level of concurrence that this was the right thing to do.”
Brothers says parents will be getting some kind of reimbursement but isn’t sure how much at this time. He says they will work to reschedule the trip.
Students at Oak Park were also supposed to fly into Brussels tonight and then bus into France. The trip itself was only going through Belgium because it was cheaper, but that too has been cancelled.
“Student safety is first and foremost in our minds right now,” says Pembina Trails Superintendent Ted Fransen. “Air Canada had offered to re-route it to Paris, but we’ve made the decision to cancel the trip.
The St. James-Assiniboia School Division also had to rearrange travel plans for a number of schools. A group from Westwood Collegiate took off for Brussels Monday afternoon but had their plane diverted to Paris because of the attacks.
“We don’t have the next step finalized yet. Right now, we’re in contact with them and they’re safe,” explains Jen Cameron with the division. “They’re looking to go meet up with their tour operator right away.”
She says students from Sturgeon Heights Collegiate and St. James Collegiate were supposed to fly to Europe today to go on a Holocaust tour, but buses were sent to the Winnipeg Airport to pick them up and bring them home.
Additionally, another group from Sturgeon Heights is currently on a plane home from Europe, but Cameron couldn’t confirm whether that was part of the original plan or was brought about because of the attacks.