SANFORD – Just days before classes begin, an elementary school caught fire in Sanford, southwest of Winnipeg.
Everyone inside J.A. Cuddy School was able to get out safely when the blaze broke out Thursday afternoon around 1:00.
Global News reporter Brittany Greenslade was at the scene.
“We could see it from ten kilometres away,” says Greenslade. “We were over in La Salle and you could just see black plumes of smoke billowing from Sanford. We drove over and there was still fire shooting out of the roof.”
The school was being renovated and the local fire chief says it was caused by crews laying tar on the roof.
An assistant superintendent with the school division says they have a couple of options – start school a few days late or move the kids to another school for a while.