WINNIPEG – It could be up to two months before elementary students in Sanford will be able to get back into their charred school.
Students were set to start the school year Wednesday but classes have been pushed back until Sept. 12.
Staff from the Red River Valley School Division along with teachers from J.A. Cuddy are meeting Tuesday to go over contingency plans after a fire ripped through the school last week causing $2.5 million in damages.
It’s still unclear exactly where all of the displaced students and staff will attend classes.
Superintendent Pauline Lafond-Bouchard tells Global News the division has ordered huts, or portables, that will house some classes. The division also ordered new school supplies and are hoping to get back to some form of normalcy soon.
“We’ve heard it could be four to eight weeks before we may be able to get some students back into the elementary school,” said Lafond-Bouchard. “But everyone is safe. It could always be worse.”
More than 80 people were forced out of the school and attached daycare last week when the blaze erupted.
Concerned parents are awaiting to hear where there kids will end up next week.
“We’re not really sure what’s happening yet,” said one mom of three young children.
Another father who spoke to Global News off camera said he had to take time off work this week to take care of his children who were supposed to be heading back to school.
The superintendent said they are working on getting plans confirmed quickly and parents can keep checking the school’s website for the most updated information.